Bishopsteignton Preschool Playgroup first began in 1981. It was set up by members of the community and sessions were run in the village hall followed by the Methodist church hall and then the scout hut.
In 1994, the chairperson of the committee applied for a national lottery grant and various rural grants towards building a permanent site. These grants were awarded and a mobile classroom unit was bought from Teignmouth Community College. The property was assembled and then completed in 1995.
The preschool is well resourced for both and indoor and outdoor play and has experienced and well qualified staff to support the children who attend.
The position of the preschool is in a quiet corner of the village yet close to the centre. This offers the opportunity for visits to explore and forge closer links with the community.
Bishopsteignton Preschool is inspected and approved by OFSTED and at the last inspection in November 2015 was awarded “good” in all areas.
In September 2020 our Preschool became a governor run setting, working closely with Bishopsteignton Primary School.
- To create a secure, friendly and stimulating atmosphere for all children, enabling them to develop at their own pace and learning through play.
- To work within a framework that ensures equality of opportunity for all families, whatever their needs.
- To enhance the development and care of children between the ages of 2 and 5 years in a parent involving, community based group.
We work within the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework (EYFS). This encompasses seven areas of learning which fall into two categories:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
- Understanding the World